Build a Car Park Building to Service Rangiora Town Centre by 2028-2030

There has been increased pressure on parking in the Rangiora town centre as our population grows and more people work in the District.

Transport studies undertaken as part of our Rangiora Town Centre Plan identified that, should parking behaviour remain constant, and projected growth continue, Rangiora’s town centre would require up to an additional 800 car parking spaces within the next 30 years.

To date we have secured land in Blake Street, have a lease on land in Durham Street, and are working to make sure residents utilise all the current parks we have. However, this will not meet our needs in the long term. The Council’s previous LTP included a provision of $6.3 million for the purchase of additional land and facilities for additional car parking, but this is considered insufficient to meet the forecast demand.

Because of this the Council proposes to retain the $6.3 million already allocated to secure more land for car parking over the next five years, but add a further $11.3 million in 2028-2030 to enable a car park building to be built that would provide for between 180 and 280 additional car parks.

We see 25 percent of the car park building project cost being defined as growth related (therefore funded by development contributions). The remaining 75 percent of costs ($8.5m - level of service improvements) would need to be funded by rates.

It is possible that by 2040 a second car park building may be required, but this is outside the current 10 year LTP timeframe.

OPTIONS

A: Council’s preference

Retain the $6.3 million already allocated to secure more land for car parking over the next five years, but add a further 11.3 million (75 percent or $8.5m will be rate funded, the remaining 25 percent will be funded by development contributions) in 2028-2030 to enable a car park building to be built. The timing of construction will be reviewed during the next LTP to check in and see if that’s still appropriate.

Project Completed Total Spend/Loan Required $
Rate Per Property Per Year
Rangiora Car Park Building - 2030/2031 8.5m (level of service only) $26.85 (from 2031/2032)*


B: Advance the construction of the car park building and finish the project by 2025/26.

This would likely provide more car parks than Rangiora currently needs right now and would require financial provision brought forward with consequential increases in debt and rates to pay off loans sooner. There are a range of possibilities here, but for the reasons set out above the Council does not recommend this at this time.

Project Completed
Total Spend/Loan Required $
Rate Per Property Per Year
Rangiora Car Park Building - 2025/2026
7.4m (level of service only) $25.33 )from 2026/2027)*


C: Defer consideration of a car park building. Instead utilise technology to show available off-street parking and increase enforcement to defer the need for additional car parks.

Providing sufficient parking is important for businesses and town centre visitors. Using technology will be considered in conjunction with providing more car parks. This would see the provision for a car park building pushed out beyond the 10 year timeframe.

This is not the preferred option as the Council thinks it is best to signal the anticipated need for this facility as part of this LTP.

There are no additional costs per property involved with this option.

* Cost - The rate includes construction and debt servicing.

Click here to make a formal submission for the Draft Long Term Plan 2021-2031.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link

The consultation for the Draft Long Term Plan has now finished. The Council will now consider all feedback as well as holding public hearings and deliberations in May. The Long Term Plan will be adopted by Council in June.

<span class="translation_missing" title="translation missing: en.projects.blog_posts.show.load_comment_text">Load Comment Text</span>